Office of Teacher Licensing
Tennessee Department of Education
6th Floor, Andrew Johnson Tower
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-0377
Phone: (615) 741-2731
Tennessee Department of Education: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/section/licensing
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master’s Degree Needed: Yes
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: Yes, a passing score is 146.
Other Testing Needed: Yes, Praxis II, Principles of Learning and Teaching
Description: Prospective school library information specialists will complete studies in library science.
Evaluation Process for Licensure
Criteria for eligible individuals:
Educators applying from out-of-state will apply for a practitioner license. The practitioner license has a three-year validity period and is renewable one time. Educators applying from out-of-state must meet the following criteria:
- Have submitted qualifying scores on required content assessments, AND
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, AND
- Must have completed an educator preparation program approved for licensure by a state other than Tennessee.
To demonstrate evidence of successful completion of an out-of-state program, the applicant must submit:
- Proof of a full and valid license (comparable to the Tennessee Professional license) from a state with which Tennessee has reciprocity, OR
- Recommendation from the out-of-state provider where the educator completed an approved program.
Further criteria may be viewed here:
Reciprocity: All out-of-state educator preparation programs must meet conditions stipulated in State Board Rule 0520-02-03 – See more at: http://www.tennessee.gov/education/article/licensure-changes-for-out-of-state-applicants#sthash.nMwf6I1F.dpuf