OSSE – Division of Elementary, Secondary Education, and Specialized Education
Educator Credentialing and Certification
810 First Street, NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 741-5881
Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master’s Degree Needed: Yes
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: Yes: School Library – 151 or above
Other Testing Needed: No
Description: The District of Columbia offers a School Librarian/Media Specialist. Criteria for eligibility includes completion of the following requirements:
— A conferred master’s degree from an accredited institution; and,
—Twenty-one (21) semester hours in library or information science content that includes the following:
- Cataloging and classification;
- Computerized applications of library automation and information access;
- Instructional media design and production;
- Organization of school library media programs and collections;
- Reference sources and services;
- Evaluation, selection and utilization of instructional media for children and young people; and
- Integration of library resources in the curriculum; and
—Directed field experience in a school library media center with an experienced media specialist; OR two (2) years of successful recognized teaching experience; OR one (1) year of library experience.
Reciprocity: Yes, through the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).